Thursday 31 January 2013

Music for life - OAE, Mozart & Sir Simon Rattle at the RFH

Tuesday 29th January. Orchestra of the Age of Englightenment conducted by Sir Simon Rattle. Royal Festival Hall. London. 

The last two and a half years my listening and playing have been a whirlwind start to a mighty voyage of musical discovery. Jazz, for me, is where my ears and soul are at right now. It's a journey that's simultaneously like coming home.

My musical life didn't start here.

The first piece of music I remember being able to name is the third movement of the Mozart's Symphony No 41. The minuetto allegretto. I probably heard this in the womb. It was, I'm told, my older brother's favourite piece of music when I was very small. Blame the Wombles, I do. By the time I was old enough to be paying attention to such things we had moved on to the "grown up" orchestral version as well.

My parents love Mozart. The famous late Mozart symphonies (38,40,41) have always been part of the fabric of my listening. There was a vinyl LP that had 40 on one side and 41 on the other. I can picture the dark green cover. I appropriated it and timed my homework to it. One of the first Compact Discs I bought (back when CDs were newfangled) was  Jane Glover conducting the London Mozart Players playing those two symphonies.

Amid the many stupid things I've done in my life, admitting to liking Mozart to my school peers was one of the dumbest. It became yet another stick they used to bully me. The vicious (supposedly inverted) musical snobbery of teenagers can be punishing. It's not cool. 

It didn't put me off Mozart. I'm not sure anything could. His music is an abiding love. 

I booked tickets for this gig 9 or so months ago. By the time it came to going I'd forgotten who was conducting and where I was sitting. So both Sir Rattle and the Choir were a surprise (I'm a muppet). Yes, in the choir you do not get an entirely 'balanced' sound. Especially not if you're sitting directly behind the Timpani. Do I care? No. I paid £9 and was closer to the orchestra than I would have been in the front row. And it was lovely.  Just blimmin lovely. The joy of 41 leaving with me a big grin on my face. The whirling joie de vivre of that minuetto. :oD. A concert that was like snuggling into a velvety, fluffy, dressing gown with a cup of tea. Right. Like a well done sum.*

This may all have started with those Wimbledon based recycling gurus (who were well before their time, environmentally). But their advice on many things holds good.

Womble to your partners
Young wombles were told
If you minuetto allegretto
You will live to be old.

Weeeheeehehehe

And so, also jazz. What can I say? I guess only that I choose to construe minuetto allegretto broadly.
__________________________________________________________
*Sylvia Plath "You're...."

No comments:

Post a Comment