Thursday 11 April 2013

Gig Update

24th March - Quadraceratops at The Salisbury

I found out about Quadraceratops through the intriguing hit and miss processes of twitter. You tweet something, it gets retweeted, people look, follow, I look and sometimes follow. And so I found out about this emerging band lead by saxophonist and composer Cath Roberts.

Quadraceratops sound, well, cheerful.  I hope this is not, in the world of furrowed brow seriousness that can be jazz, to do it a disservice. Misery does not necessarily equate to quality and joy can be as profound as sorrow. I liked the way the texture constantly shifted - between a more unison 40s big band sound and intricate counterpoint. There was a great tune called "Chairoplanes" (wheeee!). I have an abiding aural memory of "Dinner With Patrick" - the most sinister tune of the evening - describing an imagined meal with the protagonist of American Psycho. It pops up unexpectedly as if it's following me somehow...

28th March - 1st April GMF Festival at King's Place

Participation in the Global Music Foundation Easter Workshop also includes tickets to the Easter Festival gigs. But since doing the workshop also involves negotiating a thorny thicket on the hill of learning jazz this is all rather muddled up in my head. Which got very full over the course of the weekend.

The Bobby Watson All Stars with Bruce Barth (piano), Steven Keogh (drums) and Chris Hill (bass) and  later Jean Toussaint joining the jazz legend! Just ace! From her fabulous opening number (Do Wrong Shoes?) Claire Martin made me want to make the effort go and see more singers. In this gig Bruce Barth giving a masterclass in how to be a singer's dream pianist. What else was there? Pete Churchill being great and entertaining. I particularly like the idea that there are some songs such as Young and Foolish that you have to wait until you're old enough to sing them. There was Perico Sambeat's quartet and a gig-lecture on Latin rhythm from Francesco Petrini. Lots of lovely singing throughout the weekend from Guillermo Rozenthuler. And to me, still making me smile the most - the amazing and lovely Montreal based trumpeter Kevin Dean. He was my generous and supportive ensemble tutor for the weekend and it was a complete privilege to hear him play and to learn from him.

The final student concert in Hall 2 was a personal triumph for me even if Kevin's Eleven did take 10 solos on each of our two tunes It felt like an nanosecond to me but the audience may have perceived time differently. I might have played the odd exceedingly unusual chord voicing but I kept going. I took two solos that were satisfying by my standards, and experienced a sense of real pleasure playing with my new friends. I am slowly recovering from a prolonged misery of stage fright - so whatever it sounded like - for me this was momentous.

4th April Laura Jurd & Phronesis at the QEH

The 4th April, it turns out, is poet Maya Angelou's birthday. The internet therefore did that thing that the internet occaisonally does - furnished me with some well written wisdom. Including, aptly enough, this...

"You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead pursue the things you love doing and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off of you."


I was so pleased when I heard that Phronesis had invited Laura Jurd to play on the (free) Friday evening QEH foyer stage! Maybe because my mum has owned at least two VW Polos I particularly liked a tune called Little Red Car dedicated to such a vehicle. Easy to picture myself driving between hedges along country lanes in the sunshine. Jurd's compositions and playing are bright and clear mixing elegant melodic lines with freer elements. I like them. And she's very young so hopefully there's plenty more to look forward to. 

For me Phroensis conjure up the restlessness of being unable to sit still in situations that require it. Their evident pleasure in the art of collaboration itself is a joy to behold. At their highest energy it sounds the way wanting to run very very fast for the sheer hell of it feels. This barely caged kineticity* allied with a hint of subversion in the tune titles and inter-tune banter, pleases the residual activists among the army of clowns that live in my head. 


10th April Nora Bite & Laka D at The Vortex

It wasn't until Nora Bite got up on stage that I realised just how infrequently I've seen a woman play jazz guitar. As in there's a first time for everything. Rock guitar and electric bass, yes, many times. But jazz guitar? Can't recall hearing any before.This evening I got two (Deidre Cartwright played later with Laka D). A mixture of the gently atmospheric and funkier grooves. Great interaction between the band band members. Rob Paterson adding to the ever growing list of monster (I believe this is the correct term) bassists I've heard recently. 

In the blurb Laka D describes herself as the choirmistress from hell. I know from first hand experience back in the day that this is a lie (she'll challenge a group, yes, but with challenges there's always the pay-off). She's also a bloody fantastic musician and entertainer. Why do I always forget what a lovely song Kurt Weil's Speak Low is? And dammit why, even when invited to do so, did I and others not get up and dance? Oh jazz audiences, do we tend towards being a little too prim? A little too staid for our own good? The clowns think we are. 

Plus - all time record for wimmen instrumentalists in a band....3 onstage at once - whoop! 
______________________________________________________
* It's a word now.

No comments:

Post a Comment