Friday 24 May 2013

Kit Downes Trio + Ben Van Gelder at The Vortex 22/5/2013

What, really, writing up a gig within days?

Well yes now the rate of gigs/ month in the officially gigtastic year of 2013 has dropped a little this might be manageable. It's also a rainy Friday lunchtime in March May.

I've been in a right grump for much of the week. It's exams processing season - the moment where my usual patience with a technicolour array of slightly shonky databases runs out. Everything ends up taking me twice as long as my brain thinks it ought to. Twice as long as in a normal world it would.

Fortunately it turns out that there is a cure for being in a right grump. Thelonious Monk tunes played by a bunch of fantastic young musicians. A sprightly rendition of "We See" had me grinning from ear to ear. As my  relationship with jazz is still quite young I have not yet become well acquainted with Ornette Coleman tunes. I will be searching some out on you tube very shortly.

In the second set Van Gelder's first composition "All Rise" really put me in mind of the eddies and currents experienced when swimming in the sea. I have not swum in the sea for too long. I doubt I will get the chance to remedy that any time soon. The weather is not promising.

And that's it. I've forgotten everything else I wanted to say about it. Well other than this gig cheered me right up from my right grump.

Kit  Donwnes (Piano)
Tom Farmer (Bass)
James Maddren (Drums)
with Special Guest Ben Van Gelder (Alto Sax)

No comments:

Post a Comment